Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Music Review: "Silver" by Boiled in Lead


Hands down, this is my favorite new music of the past two years. What's more amazing, this is a local (Twin Cities) group that has been around for 25 years, and this is the first I've heard of them. Guess my tastes aren't as eclectic as they should be. Many thanks to KBEM-FM for giving these lads a play.

I've heard Boiled in Lead described both as "rock and reel" and "Celtic metal", but neither description fully fits. It is both, it is neither, it is more. And this go-round has some of the best lyrics I've heard in many a year. Two songs come to mind in this regard, for which I provide snippets which hopefully whet your appetite:

DEATH ON HENNEPIN

...I'm too young and pretty to die,
why not take some old mean guy?
Or some old lady who's all done
lovin' life and havin' fun?
Or some young hothead with a gun?
...Take them from their misery,
makes more sense than takin' me.


SILVER CARP

...The little ones leap, collide with Heaven,
the big ones down in the weeds in Hell.
King Carp lies on God's own sandbar,
pickin' off perch like William Tell...


This is a HIGHLY recommended, fun CD. Get it now!

1 comment:

Aleksandar said...

Please up this album on rapidshare or megaupload.I have all Boiled In Lead albums, only this album I missed...PLEASE,PLEASE,Desperately PLEASE!!!