Sunday, September 07, 2008

Saving grace

My avocation of bird banding is truly my saving grace from the stresses of "normal" life. Yesterday at Ritter Farm (20 birds of 13 species, about 50 visitors) and today at Menomonie (53 birds of 9 species, Sharon and Amber presiding) were absolutely wonderful. Amber was again true to her "good luck charm" role today, with our captures and releases of an Eastern Tufted Titmouse, Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush and Great-crested Flycatcher. The topper was a second foreign retrap of an American Goldfinch, this one numbered (I hope I remember) 2200-14660. With luck we will hear about this quicker than our previous, which has still not been determined after a year's wait. The government (or those who report to it) can take its time sometimes...

Another grind of a week upcoming, with my annual review tomorrow and yet another software upgrade early Tuesday. Awaiting on Saturday, I hope, is a fancy-free day with Susie and Jessi Henderson. I hope I make it that far; goals do help...

No comments: