Thursday, April 09, 2009

Love? part 3

I'm not sure how well I can really tackle this tonight, so I'm choosing what for me is the easiest of the remaining 3 definitions:

12) affectionate concern for the well-being of others

This is a definite yes. I must qualify it slightly in that my relationships seem, for better or worse, to be "all or nothing". I am a very private person, although less so with advancing years; a Sydney Harris column explains this well. I'm not much for the partying with strangers scene. Even the Birds and Beers which I now fondly attend started as a "Well, OK, only because so-and-so will be there" affair.

That said, my friends know that for them I will (if possible) drop everything to help them if needed. And I mean 24/7. A sample moment was paying $1000 for an immediate flight to San Francisco because a friend had tried suicide. Perhaps this is a sign more of obsession than devotion, but it is who I am.

I also remember a time that bugs me to this day. I was visiting my college town when thoughts turned to a fellow student. It was as though she was with me, calling for my assistance. I ignored this, as "I had to get home". As I found out later, she was needing a ride to MSP airport (on my way home) because her mother had died. Those of you that wish to scream "coincidence" may do so now.

Yes I do have concern for those close to me, and want to help in any way I can. Hopefully they all know that because I've actually told them, rather than by reading it here.

Then again, does it only qualify as "love" if I have that same 24/7 concern for people I do not know? Therein lies a very difficult question, for which I have no answer right now. Perhaps someday...

1 comment:

Sande said...

This is a wonderful series you're writing here.