Monday, April 27, 2009

Love? part 4B

Well, I was already half-asleep when inspiration struck. One of those things that I can't let wait, or what I want to say will be gone.

To review, the definition of "love" being examined is:

13) a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

I initially addressed the "parent" aspect, and the "child" aspect does not currently apply. Thus we arrive at the "friend" aspect. Here goes (GULP)...

Do the people for whom I feel this attachment know that I feel this? Honestly I don't know. I believe they do, but only those people could answer that. As I stated before, I trust I have not been shy about expressing this feeling, despite my tendency to privacy. Those I consider friends are for me very close (some might even say too close). But how that feeling is both expressed by me and interpreted by others is, well, best expressed by them. Which is a very long-winded way of saying, again, I don't know.

Have I felt truly, unequivocally "loved" by someone? Yes, whether intended or not by the other. But one, actually two, incidents will forever stand out in my mind. These acts were by the same person, roughly within a six-month period. They were so out-of-the-blue, seemingly insignificant and yet so generous, that they became unforgettable.

First was the very simple act of making for me a fried-egg sandwich lunch, then showing me the trick of how to do this in a microwave. We would enjoy many of these over the next year, each cooking for the other in turn.

Second was helping me solve a particularly nasty software problem, aggravated by a receding cold. When I returned from a meeting that day, a surprise awaited me on my whiteboard. Thereon was written the solution to the problem, surrounded by a border of hearts.

Have I felt this way about the acts of others? Probably, but none so memorable as those. Her selflessness (at least as I felt it) was a joy. Have others felt this way about my actions? I wish I could say. I hope to someday be as uplifting to others as she was to me.

In sum, for this definition I guess "love" is in the heart of the beholder.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Very touching and lovely post.