Thursday, May 14, 2009

Roch and roles

Spent the bulk of the day in Rochester, Minnesota. A very interesting day in multiple ways.

The most mundane was the visit to the dentist. I realize 75 miles is a haul for a dentist, but when a certain comfort level is achieved this patient doesn't want to change. And it's usually semiannual. Of course as I say that, I have to return in two weeks for a filling replacement. Oh, well...

The most awkward was visiting friends that I had not seen in over five years. So much had changed that none of us were in the same place as before. It was an excruciating experience for me, and I'm sure I didn't make it easy for them. My "private side" was present in full glory. Thirty minutes was all I could handle. As much as they might want me back, I don't think I can. Perhaps they don't want me back. Oh, well...

The most sublime was a lunch visit with "the woman from definition 13" (how's that for mystery?). She was recently laid off from the company where we first met. At lunch, she was accompanied by a grandson in a baby carrier, which she promptly handed to me. Odd as it may be for this old geezer, I felt quite "at home" with her and a young'un (ah, the imagination run amok; a beautiful thing). The restaurant folks, both waitstaff and patrons, look at you entirely differently. Doesn't hurt that grandson is a three-month old cutie (sorry, readers, I didn't have my camera). My friend has been through alot herself in the past few years, yet she exemplifies what a positive attitude can do. An amazing, beautiful woman. If only... Oh, well!

Now home from Rochester, I have much prep to do for tomorrow, including baking cookies tonight. Bird banding with friends Amber and Michelle in the morning, lunch with friend Kathy, then dinner with Michelle. With all that running around, thankfully gas isn't still $4+!

All is well...

No comments: